CASTLE OF TWENTY-ONE FIRES.
In ancient times, the village was indicated with the names of Susmano,Sosmano and Submano, toponyms perhaps deriving from the gens Sisimia, in the Todi land registry of 1322, it was described as a Castle of "Ventuno Fuochi" and was considered one of the fortresses guarding the city of Todi; equipped with a fortified fortress dependent on the plebate of Santa Vittorina, it belonged to the noble Colas Jacobelli. In 1254 Sismano suffered great devastation by the militias of the Guelph league established in 1251 between Orvieto, Perugia, Spoleto, Narni and Florence against the Ghibellines of Todi.
HOME OF POPE BONIFACE VIII.
In 1289,Cardinal Caetani had the opportunity to purchase, through the Florentine merchant Mainetto di Rinaldo dei Pulci, the Castle of Sismano for 8500 gold florins. The Cardinal was able to often go to Sismano in the periods of suspension of the Conclave of Perugia in which Pietro del Morrone was made Pope, on 5 July 1294, with the name of Celestino V who, however, during the Consistory gathered in Naples, abdicated the 13 December of the same year. Nine days later,Cardinal Benedetto Caetani became Pope with the name of Boniface VIII.
THE CORSINI FAMILY.
On 10 April 1607, at the candle auction, the Florentine merchant Bartolommeo Corsini bought the fiefdom of Sismano for "97,000 scudi". The Corsinis, originally from Castelvecchio di Poggibonsi, gave the Church a pope, three cardinals and four bishops, and other members of the family were ambassadors, ministers, imperial councilors, captains general of the papal troops and senators. Pio Tommaso Corsini, eighth prince of Sismano, participated in Italian political life by contributing as a deputy of the Constituent Assembly to the Constitutional Charter of the Italian Republic.
THE DEL PAPA & MONINI FAMILY.
In 2018 the Castello di Sismano with the Antico Borgo was purchased together with 11 farmhouses present within the 600 hectares of estates by the Terre Del Papa Agricultural Company of the Del Papa & Monini Family. The recovery and requalification works of the historical and naturalistic heritage of the places begin immediately together with the construction of the New Olive Groves for the construction of the Largest Italian Organic Olive Grove.